Science Fair Awards: 2008
Ethics in Science: 2008 Awards Program
The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology invited senior division 2008 Greater San Diego Science and Engineering Fair participants to apply their interest and skills in science to address the ethical dimensions of their work.
The awards were presented at the July 2nd Exploring Ethics program at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center by Dr. David Higgins. Dr. Higgins was a member of the ethics review committee for this first annual Ethics Center award program and has a diverse background, including research, project management, and business development. He has held positions at Invitrogen, Chiron, and Idun Pharmaceuticals. We congratulate all of our winner and have posted the first place essay from Anna Kornfeld Simpson, "Ethical Dimensions of 'Chemical Sensing with Porous Silicon on an Autonomous Robot'".
First Place ($500):
- Anna Kornfeld Simpson (10th Grade, Patrick Henry High School)
Second Place ($200):
- Christina Catabay (12th grade, Bonita Vista High School)
Third Place ($100):
- Gwendolyn Chang (9th grade, Rancho Bernardo High School)
- Alicia Guerra (10th grade, Bonita Vista High School)
- Michael Vredenburgh (10th grade, Carlsbad High School)
For more information on the 2008 Science Fair Awards please click here.