The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology is pleased to announce that we are celebrating our 10th Anniversary this year! We thank everyone who has supported and contributed to our mission of bringing the public and scientists together to explore how science can best serve society. We look forward to many more years of exciting programs and stimulating discussions! We hope to see you at one of our upcoming programs!
The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology
Exploring Ethics Forums - Upcoming Program
Recent Program - Why What You Know About Protecting Privacy Might Be Wrong
On May 6th, Staal Vinterbo, Associate Professor at the University of California San Diego Division of Biomedical Informatics, discussed the importance of privacy as it relates to our everyday lives, as well as its relevance to HIV prevention efforts in San Diego.
In 2013-2014, the Ethics Center partnered with many San Diego organizations and institutions to present a series of forums with a common theme. The series focused on cancer, as seen through the lens of Siddhartha Mukherjee's book The Emperor of All Maladies. Participants included Fleet Science Center, Grossmont College, Legler Benbough Foundation, Moores Cancer Center, Point Loma Nazarene University, Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute, SDSU, Sharp HealthCare, UC San Diego, and USD.
- June 4, 2014 - Ethicists Confront Cancer: When the Professional Becomes Personal
- May 5, 2014 - Immunotherapy: A Promising New Approach to Treating Cancer
- April 2, 2014 - Communicating through the Cancer Journey: Can We Talk?
- February 25, 2014 - The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
- December 4, 2013 - Winning the War Against Cancer in the Genomics Era: Is It About Time?
- October 2, 2013 - Lessons from a One-Eyed Surgeon